We are hiring - National Community Education Worker
National Traveller MABS is a leading advocate for the financial inclusion of Travellers in Ireland. National Traveller MABS was formally established in 2005 as a National organisation and it is funded by the Citizens Information Board.
The Mission of National Traveller MABS is to work to reduce poverty, discrimination and the financial exclusion of Travellers in Ireland by effecting change in policy and in practice and by building Traveller inclusion and capability in partnership with the Traveller Community.
National Traveller MABS foresees an inclusive Irish society where the Traveller Community participates fully and equally in all aspects of that society.
We are now seeking to recruit a
National Community Education Worker
Salary Scale is currently €35,831 to €48,333
It is anticipated that new entrants to the MABS service will be appointed on the 1st point of the scale. Incremental credit should it be awarded will be assessed on the basis of the information contained in the application form submitted for the post.
This is a full-time position based in Finglas. As the organisation has a national profile, candidates must be prepared to travel and access to own transport is essential. Further details can be obtained in the Job Description and Person Specification
attached or on
Completed applications must be made on the National Community Education Worker Form and submitted in hard copy only together with a letter of application
Reference: EW 2020
National Traveller MABS
Unit 2, North Park,
North Road, Finglas,
Closing date: 5 p.m. on Friday 3rd July 2020. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
It is anticipated that interviews will take place over Zoom
National Traveller MABS is funded and supported by the CIB
Purpose of Role:
- To develop and implement an education strategy for National Traveller Money Advice and Budgeting Service (MABS) focusing on the needs of theTraveller community in relation to money matters and financial exclusion
- To work directly within the Traveller community to identify and prioritise community education needs, specifically in the area of financial inclusion
- To promote the role of MABS education within the Traveller community
- To work directly with MABS and Citizens Information services (CISs) to deliver community education resources and training resources to Travellers
- To identify and develop opportunities for development of appropriate social policy solutions for issues faced by Travellers experiencing financial exclusion
- To promote the role of education in combatting financial exclusion within the Traveller community
- To network with appropriate groups at both a national and local level in order to achieve the objectives of National Traveller MABS
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Identify, develop, implement and monitor, the national community education strategy of National Traveller MABS
- To contribute and develop the community education resources and training required to assist in the delivery and facilitation of education sessions by both MABS and Citizens Information services (CIS) Update, revise and improve existing community education resources and materials relevant to the needs of Travellers
- Update, revise and improve existing community education resources and materials relevant to the needs of Travellers
Develop new community education resources and materials to respond to identified needs
- Facilitate workshops nationally with Travellers and with MABS, CIS’s and other relevant organisations to support services meet the needs of Travellers in their area.
- Create, develop and produce resources and material for use by MABS companies
- Support and facilitate individual MABS with training preparation for facilitating education sessions with local Traveller groups
- Maintain accurate records, assess and evaluate all workshops and identify areas for improvements
- Network to build links with various organisations and groups through participation at various fora and events.
- Develop best-practice policy for people engaged in community education
- Produce reports and articles for publication across various formats
- Undertake other duties as requested by the coordinators
National Traveller MABS is an Equal Opportunities Employer and welcomes applications from the Traveller Community and other minorities and those from disadvantaged backgrounds.
National Traveller MABS is funded and supported by the CIB
Essential Education and/or Experience
- Relevant NFQ level 8 in Community education and two years’ experience, or equivalent 3 years’ experience working in area of Community education
- Have directly relevant experience in community education in organising and empowering communities and marginalised groups to address issues
- Have a strong understanding of issues faced by Travellers experiencing financial exclusion and display knowledge of how community education can address those issues
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- A strong understanding of financial exclusion and the barriers faced by marginalised communities experiencing this, coupled with knowledge of how community education can address those issues
- Experience of facilitating community education, learning and development
- Excellent communication skills and ability to communicate effectively to a range of audiences
- A proven ability to organise, co-ordinate and deliver on projects
- A proven ability to produce high quality written material and resources
- Good computer skills and experience of working with a range of applications including Microsoft packages.
- Have direct experience of organising and delivering community education and training programmes
- Have been responsible for producing training material for delivery to groups
- Have experience of evaluating training programmes
- Have a strong understanding of issues faced by those in financial exclusion and display knowledge of how community education can address those issues
For application form please click here.
For job description please click here.